Followers

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Shopping Carts

One of my biggest problems is that I am lazy. I find it interesting the amount of stray carts scattered about the parking lot of the grocery store. If only there was some holding area where the carts could be placed after the shoppers were done. I can’t count how many times my excitement of finding the perfect parking spot has been ruined by a shopping cart. Here’s the irony, I could get out of the car move the shopping cart, not to the mythical holding bay, but just far enough as to clear the area for my car. But to achieve this task I would have to shift the car in neutral, take the seat belt off, open the door, and move the cart. (There is a real art in getting the wheels turned just right so that the cart won’t roll. It takes roughly five times as long as it would to put the cart away properly.) Instead I find it far more rewarding to curse the person that didn’t put their cart away and I go find me a new cart-free parking spot. As I circle the parking lot looking I think of a conundrum, if the cart wasn’t put away out of shear laziness, how in the world did one muster up enough energy to walk all the way from the store to the car and load all the groceries by hand? Seems like it would have been easier to stay home and order out. But then again there’s the whole picking up the phone and dialing and stuff.

With Memorial Day fresh in my mind thoughts of those gone by still linger. I think of the greatest generation, those that built their lives on the principle of hard work. To them I stand in awe. I fear I have convenienced myself out of hard work. I must find a way to overcome the grips of laziness. I wish to stand one day next to the great ones, for only those that have learned the principle of work shall be permitted to stand in such awesome company.

1 comment:

Rod and Kandace said...

So, the other day it was raining and I HAD to go to Walmart for a quick little something. I hadn't gotten out of my car yet when I saw a dad with two young children hunkered down to keep their faces out of the rain. After he put them in their car seats, I watched him look around for that "holding bay". You could see that gleam in his eye when he spotted it a little ways off. He jogged over to it and gently placed his cart inside. Then...he saw one of those carts you are talking about taking up a space. He jogged over to that cart and put it away. He then saw another and put it away. (I was so proud of him! I thought, that is the kind of person I want to be.) Then, to my joy, he watched as an elderly lady put her groceries in her car and proceded to leave her cart next to her car. He jogged over to her and asked if he could put her cart away for her. It made my day watching a guy do a little good in the big bad Walmart parking lot.