Followers

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Great Giver

Could it be that in His world amongst the singing angels there’s room for a banjo?

Why do I have so much fear that as I seek the light, I will loose who I am, and all things fun will be no more? It’s no wonder so many don’t seek. But we are seekers. We are really good at seeking out excitement and pleasure. Can you blame us?

Here’s the great lie. As we approach the light, we will become more restricted in the things we can do and experience. I’m just beginning to sense that not only does He not restrict, but if we let Him, He will increase our capacity to experience joy and pleasure in ways that before were unimaginable. I have no idea how this happens, but from time to time I catch whispers that it’s true.

He is The Great Giver. He would have us enjoy life and feel all those wonderful feelings that we are so unwilling to give up. But we must do it His way. If not, all is temporary, and the fun and excitement will sooner or later be replaced with anguish and misery.

Give me balance, that I might enjoy the good things of this life, all the while remembering Him, the one who gave us all.

2 comments:

LuckyMatt said...

I like your thoughts on this topic, and agree wholeheartedly. I believe that everything good and worthwhile is available to us, and a lot of stuff that's just plain fun too, if we first prove to ourselves that we'll give it all up if asked.

Anonymous said...

I used to think that in order to truly seek him, one needed to only do church stuff. Like every day was like you are seated in sacrament meeting, listening to it being blessed. But I think the Lord wants us to experience life, and all the wonderful things he has made possible for us to know. Especially the banjo