Followers

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A DAY OF TEARS

I watched two people I love dearly cry yesterday.

First was my Grandpa Barney who has terminal lung cancer. Grandpa Barney, tall, strong, full of work, lay helpless, weak, discouraged, weeping for reasons why. Yet as we left his room, his request was clear, please raise the flag in the front yard. Grandpa, I stand tall and salute you, I honor you, I reverence in your example of work. Hang on grandpa the time is drawing near when your tears of pain shall be replaced with tears of joy.

Second was my grandmother Darais. Tears left her eyes as she listened to a familiar hymn that was being played by my daughter Kylee. The melody took her to days gone by when she was a little girl listening to her grandmother play the same hymn. I have never known one stronger in the faith than my grandmother Darais. Thank you for showing me what pure is really like. May you drift off tonight to your childhood street in California where so many sweet memories await you.

We all cry for different reasons in this life. I long for the day when we shall all cry for the same reason, the reuniting of all that was lost but found again, to be enjoyed with our loved ones forever more.

3 comments:

Rita Dirkse - Lakewood, WA said...

Thannk you so much for your sweet comments about your grandparents. All of the older generations in my family are gone now - I am the oldest of my generation - and,even though I know I will see them all again some day, not a day passes that I don't miss them. I see my mother in the face and actions of my 22-year-old daughter, Samantha, and my maternal grandmother in my own face. . . So, while their bodies are not here, their spirits live on in this new generation. . . Thank God for the Gospel and all it teaches us.

Abby said...

I love you grampa!!!I'll always remember you love ya!!!!!Grandma darais your soooo sweet I love you bread and ice-cream I love you guys!!I'll always remember you guys!

Unknown said...

Pure love is a very powerful tool that cannot be broken by anyone unless you let them in. Marama